Our mission.As the world’s number 1 job site, our mission is to help people get jobs. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
The team.We are builders, we are integrators. Tech Services creates and optimizes solutions for a rapidly growing business on a global scale. We work with distributed infrastructure, petabytes of data, and billions of transactions with no limitations on your creativity. You don’t have to wait for some architect or manager to tell you what you can work on - you decide the priorities. With tech hubs in Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Tokyo and Hyderabad, we are improving people's lives all around the world, one job at a time.
We are looking for a Database Engineering Manager in our Austin Texas office to support our growing MongoDB and MySQL database operations around the world. In this role, you’ll be working with the Operations and IT Teams on databases which provide job search results to over 200 million unique visitors per month and support the many products offered by Indeed. If you’re talented, love to learn, and enjoy troubleshooting, this position is a great opportunity to grow your skills and contribute to a top-tier web site.
As a Database Engineering Manager, you will provide leadership, mentorship and technical direction for a diverse group of highly proficient and motivated MongoDB and MySQL database engineers. You own the tactical execution and tasking of your team, and work to develop them into a highly functioning unit.
You understand that the best managers serve their teams, remove roadblocks, provide individual contributors autonomy, and encourage peer level communication. We are not a top down organization and greatly value the freedom to solve problems at any level. You are someone with high standards who will push us to be better, and who will take pride in Indeed like we do. You are well versed in your discipline and you have led Database engineering teams and earned the respect of talented Database engineers. You are as happy talking policy and guidelines as you are geeking out over the latest database offering from the open source community. You want to be in the mix technically while providing leadership to your teams.
- Collaborate with Database Engineering Leadership to lead your team on delivering agreed upon organizational goals while accounting for the way Indeed works.
- Create technology roadmaps for the team with the vision to execute on them.
- Schedule and participate in coaching and mentoring sessions with your team, identifying areas of improvement and providing feedback.
- Perform and document quarterly performance reviews for team.
- Participate in defining architecture strategy involving team and company goals.
- Delegate and prioritize customer tickets to appropriate resources, with the goal of providing the best service possible to the teams we serve.
- Identify opportunities for self service tools and automation.
- Actively manage your portion of the Database engineering program and provide consistent status updates to leadership regarding progress towards objectives.
- Resolve issues, dependencies, and conflicts; make certain that your teams are involved, engaged, and informed.
- Design and ensure technical documentation is maintained for your area.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technology in the database platforms, particularly relational, non-relational and distributed databases.
How you work:
- 3+ years of Database or IT management, preferably for teams of over 4 members.
- Minimum 7 years of Technical experience, preferably MySQL and/or MongoDB.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects and assist/advise your engineers in establishing appropriate priorities.
- Capable of managing key customer relationships and influencing a cross functional team to accomplish goals.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to learn quickly.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work with different current technologies particularly MySQL and MongoDB, and leading edge offerings such as CockroachDB.
- Strong multitasker with the capability to drive projects through engineers.
- Knowledge of MongoDB and MySQL database fundamentals data modeling, server configuration and tuning, query optimization, backup and recovery techniques.
- Practical experience with data center and enterprise architectures
- Familiarity with database automation practices and technologies, including tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Salt, or Chef is a plus.
- Familiarity with public cloud deployments and migrations is a plus.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Computer Security, Information Systems, or equivalent proof of baseline knowledge.
Indeed provides a variety of benefits that help us focus on our mission of helping people get jobs.
View our bounty of perks: http://indeedhi.re/IndeedBenefits
Indeed is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.