Our mission.As the world’s number 1 job site, our mission is to help people get jobs. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
The team.We are builders, we are integrators. Tech Services creates and optimizes solutions for a rapidly growing business on a global scale. We work with distributed infrastructure, petabytes of data, and billions of transactions with no limitations on your creativity. You don’t have to wait for some architect or manager to tell you what you can work on - you decide the priorities. With tech hubs in Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Tokyo and Hyderabad, we are improving people's lives all around the world, one job at a time.
As an Enterprise Data Warehouse Manager at Indeed, your role is to lead the EDW team to deliver quality assured, timely data representing the true state of the entire enterprise for business users and business analysts to make the most informed decisions that they can to drive Indeed’s goals.
You will help shape the vision of the EDW, help to establish its long-term platform architecture, champion its adoption, and own its delivery. You will ensure that it is available, robust, scalable, and strategic. You will understand the technical platform and work with technical teams to deliver a common vision. You will ensure that the team’s work is both challenging yet achievable, and is a consistent balance between new-feature development and tech debt remediation. You will be relentless about removing roadblocks and escalating as needed to clear the way to achieve goals.
You will understand the details of how the different functions of the business see the world, understand where they cross paths and where they diverge, and ensure that the EDW enables them to see a unified view of the global enterprise. You will work cross-functionally to understand the business’s requirements, their priorities, establish partnerships with up- and down-stream teams, and ensure that a complete solution is designed, delivered, and supported.
You will help the team to identify cross-functional business teams and SMEs who should be involved with the definition of key metrics and attributes, and ensure that EDW’s logic and results receive sign off from business SMEs in order to further trust in the solution.
The best EDW Manager loves to challenge the EDW team to uncover contradictions and inconsistencies in source and benchmark data and figure how to reconcile them; ensure that engineering leaders, business leaders, and analysts are aligned to reveal what is causing those contradictions and to reconcile those differences; deliver solutions into the hands of users, all the way up to the CEO, so that they can make the smartest decisions possible.
The best EDW Manager believes there is probably a better way to do everything and works to ensure that the team constantly delivers improvements to the platform. You never trust your first instincts without checking them against industry best practices and the data. You do not believe that point-solutions are a strategy for long-term success and you put plans in place to replace them with long-term solutions.
You have very strong SQL and data querying abilities to help your team when they need you. You have a strong understanding of how databases store and retrieve data. You can write Python and/or procedural SQL so you can understand what it takes to do that work. You love talking to stakeholders to find out what they need because you know that the only good EDW solutions are ones that they want to use. However, you also know when not to allow others to dictate what the right solution is, and do it persuasively and constructively.
You are skilled in designing ETL pipelines, which helps you ensure the team builds scalable and efficient data pipes. You are skilled in data modeling, which helps you ensure the team designs scalable and business-user oriented data models. You are someone who is passionate about data-driven approaches to solving problems. You get excited about learning new methodologies and learning in a collaborative environment. You are skilled at eliciting requirements from a wide range of different teams and building an efficient roadmap to fulfill them.
- Work with Data Governance and other data-oriented orgs to establish the vision of the EDW and ensure that the solution delivers on that vision.
- Support the development team with everything they need to deliver the solution.
- Work closely with business and system SMEs to ensure alignment between all aspects of the solution, including the systems, processes, and people.
- Work with Data Governance and the team to implement compliance standards and standards of data quality.
- Work with Solution Partners and Data Governance to standardize definitions and business rules across business functions.
- Work with business users and partner teams to grow adoption of the solution and influence the design/direction of upstream systems to ensure end-to-end alignment.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, an engineering or quantitative discipline, or 7+ years of experience managing complex/large data streams.
- 5+ years leading an EDW team as a development manager, or development lead, or an architect.
- Strong SQL skills: querying using advanced functions like windowing; optimizing queries to run efficiently; debugging queries to find logical errors.
- Strong hands-on data modeling experience for operational systems (3NF) and data warehousing (dimensional). Strong understanding of Kimball modeling principles.
- Solid understanding of how relational databases store and retrieve data.
- Ability to communicate effectively with business subject matter experts to understand their requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical subject matter experts to understand their systems.
- Hands-on experience quality assuring data: data profiling, data discovery, root cause analysis.
- Hands-on experience working with business SMEs to codify business rules and sign off on logic.
- Hands-on experience writing ETL and automating data cleansing/transformation.
- Experience in columnar relational data stores and NoSQL technologies.
- Experience with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc, as well as knowledge of more traditional warehouses.
- Experience delivering data pipelines and managing resulting data stores using managed cloud services (like AWS or Google Cloud Services)
- Experience with modern data pipelines, data streaming, and real time analytics using tools such as Apache Kafka, AWS kinesis, Spark Streaming, ElasticSearch, or similar tools.
- Knowledge of machine learning tools and concepts a plus.
Indeed provides a variety of benefits that help us focus on our mission of helping people get jobs.
View our bounty of perks: http://indeedhi.re/IndeedBenefits
Indeed is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.