Our mission.As the world’s number 1 job site, our mission is to help people get jobs. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
The team.We are the people behind the scenes of Indeed's search results. We ensure that our results are ranked as best as they can be for our job seekers and that they’re not being duped by scams or fraud. Beyond search, we invest heavily in ensuring that Indeed has the best data analysis tools available to optimize our recruiting products and run accurate A/B tests. Simply put, we help people get the right jobs.
The Ontologist is responsible for creating semantic relationships between taxonomies in order to significantly improve the job search experience for millions of Indeed users. You will work in close collaboration with Taxonomy Managers and Analysts, Product Managers, and Software Engineers to map metadata to content, source data to extend linked triple stores, and implement an ontological overlay, keeping the job seeker experience as the prime driver for your work.
As an ideal candidate, you’ve been described as dynamic, creative, forward-thinking, and logical. You have a thorough understanding of metadata schemas and experience implementing large-scale taxonomy and ontology projects with a user-centered focus. You’re an excellent communicator, able to explain complex concepts in a clear and engaging manner to stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You delight in working closely with both cross-functional and taxonomy team colleagues.
At Indeed, you will play a direct role in shaping the job search experience and helping to define the long-term strategy for a rapidly developing, international team.
Collaborate with developers and product managers to architect and implement a unified, extensible schema for existing and future data and advise in the development of internal tools
Use semantic modeling to create relationships between multiple internal taxonomies and integrate external data schemas where appropriate
Lead engagement with Indeed ontology stakeholders and other data groups to understand business needs and use cases for better data mappings and relationship creation
Use formal logic to declare relationships outside of OWL, SKOS, or other established schemas when necessary
Create and maintain documentation pertaining to project scope, specification, training, and governance
- 2+ years experience designing, constructing, and implementing semantic models using RDF, RDFS, OWL, and SKOS, ideally in an e-commerce or technology environment
- 2+ years experience with semantic editing tools and ontology management software
- 5+ years experience developing knowledge organization systems such as controlled vocabularies, metadata schema, and taxonomies
- Experience integrating existing ontologies such as Dublin Core, Viaf, FOAF, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise with data querying (SQL, SPARQL)
- Demonstrated expertise with triple stores and knowledge of their place in the ecosystem of data caches and delivery funnels
- Experience leading projects, engaging stakeholders, and shepherding project goals from ideation to successful implementation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong problem solving and conceptual thinking abilities
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment
- Comfort with emerging technology and willingness to learn new systems as needed
- Proficiency with Google G Suite (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, Hangouts, etc.)
- Advanced degree in Information Science, Linguistics, Philosophy, Computer Science, or related area
- Experience using PoolParty Semantic Suite
- Proficiency with programming languages such as Python or Java
- Background in Information Architecture and/or User Experience
- Ability to read/write in one or more language other than English
Indeed provides a variety of benefits that help us focus on our mission of helping people get jobs.
View our bounty of perks: http://indeedhi.re/IndeedBenefits
Indeed is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.