Date published: 7-Mar-2017
Our mission.As the world’s number 1 job site, our mission is to help people get jobs. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
The team.We are builders, we are integrators. Tech Services creates and optimizes solutions for a rapidly growing business on a global scale. We work with distributed infrastructure, petabytes of data, and billions of transactions with no limitations on your creativity. You don’t have to wait for some architect or manager to tell you what you can work on - you decide the priorities. With tech hubs in Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Tokyo and Hyderabad, we are improving people's lives all around the world, one job at a time.
Indeed is looking for an experienced Systems Engineer to join our Site Reliability Engineering team. Our team helps people get jobs by engineering resilient systems that are fast, fault-tolerant and scalable. These systems provide job search capabilities to over 200,000,000 job seekers who use Indeed websites every month.
The team is responsible for resiliency, performance and security of Indeed's global production infrastructure...
We provide guidance to the Software Engineering teams and drive best practices for Indeed's products, which span multiple data centers across five continents.
We are experts in core infrastructure technologies like load balancers, HTTPd, Puppet, Tomcat, Memcached, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, and more.
We realize that failure is inevitable, so we embrace it and plan for fast recovery, in order to deliver near 100% uptime.
- Educate peers about processes, standards, and technologies
- Author scripts and puppet manifests to setup, configure and monitor proprietary and open source software services
- Perform scalability testing to measure limits of software and hardware
- Provide dedicated support to multiple Indeed software engineering teams by configuring and troubleshooting the software
- Serve as a subject matter expert for third party technologies such as gitlab, elasticsearch, jenkins, httpd, storm, and more
- Suggest and implement innovations to the processes, standards or technologies used by the Infrastructure Operations team
- Perform major upgrades with minimal downtime
- Advocate standards for configuration, monitoring, reliability and performance
- Investigate and solve live performance and stability issues in production
- Participate in a follow-the-sun on-call rotation
As an SRE Systems Engineer II, you will learn many systems and technologies rapidly and become a diligent representative of production best practices. We expect that you have broad knowledge of networking, Linux, and automation concepts.
- 4+ years of Linux experience as an administrator or power user
- 2+ years of scripting experience in Shell, Perl, or Python
- 2+ years of experience with configuration management in Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt
- 2+ years of experience troubleshooting live TCP/IP, routing, and HTTP issues in production
- Hands-on operational experience managing JVM services
- Demonstrated ability to operate as a high-performing member of a small, cross-functional team
- Experience teaching more junior engineers
- Experience interviewing System Administrators or Site Reliability Engineers
- Able to troubleshoot TCP/IP, switching, routing & HTTP issues
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Able to solve Linux troubleshooting challenges. You understand system limits and how to check if we’re hitting them.
- Able to write code. You use automation to make your job more efficient.
- Comfortable with managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Meticulous and cautious. You consider edge cases and risk mitigation strategies for every change.
- Able to learn from mistakes
- Solid communicator with great customer service skills
- Extremely curious about how things work
Indeed provides a variety of benefits that help us focus on our mission of helping people get jobs. View our bounty of perks: http://indeedhi.re/IndeedBenefits
Indeed is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.