Additional Posting Location(s): Tokyo
Our mission.As the world’s number 1 job site, our mission is to help people get jobs. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
The team.We are builders, we are integrators. Tech Services creates and optimizes solutions for a rapidly growing business on a global scale. We work with distributed infrastructure, petabytes of data, and billions of transactions with no limitations on your creativity. You donÕt have to wait for some architect or manager to tell you what you can work on - you decide the priorities. With tech hubs in Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Tokyo and Hyderabad, we are improving people's lives all around the world, one job at a time.
Indeed's Production Operations team practices the idea of Resilience Engineering. We know our systems are complex. We know that they will fail. We strive to build our tools, systems, and environments to make them resilient to that failure. We want our systems to be reliable, to work, and to work well.
As a Systems Engineer, you seek out feedback on your designs and ideas and provide the same to others. You constantly ask "What am I missing?" and "How will this NOT work"? You don't shy away from what you don't know; you readily admit that you don"t know everything, and use every resource available to learn what you need to know. You work with people to improve not only the technical aspect of the work, but the human interaction of it. You trust your gut, but try to follow that up with credible facts and data to support your instincts. You eliminate rules and process where they do not add value. You understand that having priorities is as important as being able to shuffle them around (or not!) when things come up.
- The design, care, and feeding of physical and virtual infrastructure (XEN) across multiple global data centers and points of presence.
- Day-to-day troubleshooting of hardware problems on x86 systems and iSCSI SANs
- Evaluate new and different types of hardware to improve performance or capacity
- Provisioning equipment and new data center locations
- Stay ahead of the capacity curve, keeping a long-term eye out for changes and needs of Indeed's technology stack.
- Work with Operations and Engineering teams to understand their capacity needs
- Build out the various capacity plans and act upon them before fires start
- Work simultaneously on multiple projects competing for your time and understand how to prioritize accordingly.
- Be part of the On-call Rotation for your areas of responsibility and expertise.
You have a cool head under pressure. When a technical fire occurs, you understand that putting it out should always avoid collateral damage. When you cause a fire (as everyone inevitably does), you take responsibility for it and work with the team to figure out the right way to put that fire out. Your believe blaming is a waste of time: when something goes wrong, you figure out why it happened and how to prevent it from happening again in the future. Better yet, you look for how things went right in the first place and improve upon those.
- 8+ Years industry experience and Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge of Linux Administration and Engineering
- We use CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), you should too
- You can read and interpret IETF standards and RFCs
- systemd? Love it or hate it, you realize it's just another tool to use
- You are as comfortable with /bin/perf as you are with /bin/ls
- Experience with common automation tools such as Puppet
- Familiarity with a higher level scripting language, such as Perl, Python, or Ruby
- If you come from a DevOps or Sysadmin background could translate well
- A willingness to take responsibility, accountability, and ownership
- A willingness to mentor and teach people what you know
- You help people figure out how to do something instead of always doing it for them
Indeed is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.