Our mission.As the world’s number 1 job site, our mission is to help people get jobs. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
The team.We are the people behind the scenes of Indeed's search results. We ensure that our results are ranked as best as they can be for our job seekers and that they’re not being duped by scams or fraud. Beyond search, we invest heavily in ensuring that Indeed has the best data analysis tools available to optimize our recruiting products and run accurate A/B tests. Simply put, we help people get the right jobs.
The Taxonomy Manager is responsible for overseeing a team of Taxonomy Team Leads, Analysts, and Associates who develop controlled vocabularies and apply metadata in order to significantly improve the job search experience for millions of Indeed users.
As an ideal candidate, you’ve been described as dynamic, creative, forward-thinking, and organized. You have a thorough understanding of taxonomy design best practices and experience implementing large-scale taxonomy and/or ontology projects with a user-centered focus. You’re an excellent communicator equally comfortable developing and supporting your direct reports as driving Search Relevance team projects. You’re comfortable giving and receiving feedback, don’t shy away from tough conversations when the need arises, and revel in celebrating team and individual successes. You can explain complicated concepts in a straightforward, easy to understand manner and enjoy working closely with cross-functional colleagues and stakeholders.
At Indeed, you will play a direct role in shaping the job search experience and in helping to define the long-term strategy for a rapidly developing, international team.
- Manage taxonomy- and ontology-focused projects, collaborating closely with Search Relevance team members, developers, and product managers
- Serve as spokesperson for the Search Relevance team, meeting with stakeholders across the company to encourage taxonomy adoption
- Implement taxonomy governance process and communicate consistently about upcoming changes
- Hold weekly 1-on-1 meetings with direct reports and regular skip-level 1-on-1s
- Conduct phone and in-person interviews for potential new hires
- Work with team leads to refine and standardize onboarding, ongoing training and professional development, and documentation for the Taxonomy team
- Consult on internal processes and workflows
- Suggest ways to improve and scale our products and internal tools
- Work closely with the Senior Taxonomy Manager and product managers to shape the product roadmap and define long-term strategy
- Conduct quarterly and annual reviews in conjunction with Team Leads and the Senior Taxonomy Manager
- 3+ years of experience in a taxonomy-, ontology-, or metadata-focused role, preferably leading large-scale projects
- Project management experience, preferably in an agile environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Passion for supporting and helping team members to grow in their roles
- Strong problem solving and conceptual thinking abilities
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment
- Comfort with emerging technology and willingness to learn new systems as needed
- Ability to context switch between systems-level thinking and attention to minute details
- Ability to balance quick decision-making with attention to quality and accuracy
- Desire to stay up-to-date on taxonomy and user experience best practices and trends
- Proficiency with Google G Suite (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, Hangouts, etc.)
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent work experience
- Experience interviewing and hiring candidates
- Knowledge of SQL or SPARQL
- Able to read and write in a language other than English
Indeed provides a variety of benefits that help us focus on our mission of helping people get jobs.
View our bounty of perks: http://indeedhi.re/IndeedBenefits
Indeed is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.